Monday, July 16, 2012

Saturday June 23, 2012.
Baking Again -
Day two of baking cupcakes for Charlie's birthday party.  This time the chocolate cupcakes.  And by baking, I mean opening the package and adding the wet ingredients.  The kids didn't seem to mind.  


June 24, 2012.
Party Day -
For the first time ever, we had The Little Man's birthday party somewhere other than at home.  I think it may have been the easiest party ever, but part of me missed a big party at home.  Over the years I've planned some kick ass home parties for my kids with elaborate themes: a teddy bear picnic, an autumn harvest party, a fifties dance party, a spa themed sleepover,  a skating party, a hot chocolate & skating party, a surprise party, a camping party, a pirate party.  I loved the weeks before a party as I planned games, activities, food and loot bags to match the theme.  But Charlie's Transformer themed party last year put an end to those days.  The kids were clearly not impressed with my efforts, and not only complained throughout the party, but treated my home like a giant playground.  To say that they were party animals is an understatement.
  I've hosted close to twenty birthday parties over the years, and I have noticed a big shift in what kids expect from a party.  I can't blame the kids though,  it's not their fault.  Do a quick Google search for birthday party ideas and you will see what I mean.  The children's birthday party industry is big business, with parents spending lots of money trying to give their child a party that equals or exceeds that of their classmates.  The birthday party bar keeps getting higher and higher.  As parents there is nothing more that we like to give our kids on their special day then to make them feel special.  And don't get me wrong, I know that I am  playing into the game, which is why my days of hosting humble home parties are over.  sigh. 



Monday June 25, 2012.
Enjoying the Breeze -
A break in the record high temperatures meant that we were able to open the windows and enjoy the breeze.  It felt so refreshing to let some air in.


Tuesday June 26, 2012.
Celebrating Me -
Twenty years later, then I should have graduated high school I did it.  I was so happy and proud of myself, that I fell asleep with a smile on my face.



Wednesday June 27, 2012.
Lucky Number Seven -
Because there is such a big gap between my big kids and "Baby" Charlie, I knew just how quickly time passes.  I was well aware that before you know it, you turn around and they are grown.  Knowing this,  I savored his baby, toddler and little boy days.  We went on special Mommy and son dates, played and created together.  I have treasured and enjoyed every minute of raising Charlie, and even so, the time passed too quickly.  
He has six full years behind him.  Ahead of him he will go running (probably kicking a ball)  into his Lucky Seventh year. Charlie is a happy, funny, caring boy, and I will savor each day of his lucky year.  






Thursday June 28, 2012.
Last Day -
I think that if he had to spend another day at school, he might have melted.  Charlie's school lacks air conditioning, which most days means it is uncomfortable inside the building but with our region in a extreme heat alert, his school boarders on dangerous.  The upper classrooms of his school reached 134F!  Most days he came out looking like a sweaty lobster.  But on this, the last day of school there was relief at the end of the day.  He was so happy to be invited to his friend Haydn's End of School Pool Party.  A great way to end the year, having fun (and cooling off) with his buddies.


Friday June 29, 2012.
Hazy Moon - 
On the eve of our summer vacation, I am so eager to spend quality time with my family.  For the next week, we will be making memories that I hope the kids hold in their hearts forever.  Look out Balsam Lake Provincial Park, here we come!

No comments:

Post a Comment